Smart Futures is a three year partnership project (2017-2020) funded by the National Lottery through the Big Lottery Fund. The aim of the project is to raise young people’s aspirations and provide them with access to high quality, accessible work experience.
The programme has been planned in response to the current social and economic context in Manchester, where young people in the poorest North Manchester neighbourhoods have become more isolated from the city’s growing prosperity.
Of the new programme, Caleb Jackson from Enthusiasm Trust said,
”We have a fantastic and innovative opportunity to aid and shift young people’s mindsets around employability. Together through this partnership, co-production and creativity we will narrow that employability gap for each individual that comes through the programme”
Smart Futures will deliver a targeted and long term approach which responds to the specific support requirements of teenagers facing barriers in accessing employment. It will add to the support currently available and includes:
- a new network of regional employers with a commitment to North Manchester and opportunities for young people;
- presentations, events and group visits to inspire young people to be ambitious and aim to reach their full potential;
- a diverse range of flexible work based encounters which can be personalised and matched to individual needs;
- mentoring and coaching to help motivate and prepare those young people not ready to access mainstream work experience or the labour market;
- investment in the local workforce to develop expertise and sustain high quality employment support.
After three years we will have established a self-sustaining model which provides a shared resource to community organisations working with young people across North Manchester. Smart Futures is managed by Manchester Youth Zone on behalf of the partnership.
Smart Futures News
For more information, please contact the Smart Futures Project Manager, Kamila Rataj.