INSPIRING A GENERATION
Manchester Youth Zone provides a unique safe place for young people aged from 6 – 19, up to 25 with additional needs, from across Manchester. With a wealth of sport and creative activities, MYZ currently welcomes almost 1,000 young people each week and we work to raise our members aspirations and equip them with the tools to increase their confidence, build positive relationships and add something back to their own community.
Somewhere to go. Something to do. Someone to talk to.
A Worthwhile Cause
The Manchester Youth Zone is located in Harpurhey, North Manchester and is ranked as the 2nd worst ward in England for the effect of long term deprivation on children. Many in the surrounding area are vulnerable to poor educational attainment, future worklessness and to developing antisocial or offending behaviour.
In the local area:
- Unemployment is 16.2% (national rate 7.5%)
- 48% of families live below the poverty line
- 11% of 16-18 year olds are not in employment, education or training
The Manchester Youth Zone aims to provide young people with opportunities to make constructive use of their leisure time, raise their aspirations and choose a positive, independent lifestyle.
Our facilities include; a full-size sports hall with 8m high climbing wall, 3G outdoor sports pitch, dance studio, music and media suites, theatre, arts room, boxing gym, fully equipped fitness suite, sensory room, recreational area and café.
We offer structured evening sessions as well as targeted provisions throughout the school day to enable us to make a positive impact on young lives across Manchester.
Some of our more targeted work includes:
- Mentoring: a programme which provides weekly one-to-one support to members of all ages
- Employability: support into work through a tailored 6 – 8 week programme
- Junior Choices: a preventative programme aimed at 9-12 year old’s at risk of offending
- Sports Leaders: to enable, educate and empower young people through sport
Here at the Manchester Youth Zone, we believe that all young people should be able to access the same opportunities, regardless of what disabilities they face. Our skilled staff work hard to remove obstacles to participation and ensure that all the activities on offer at MYZ can be taken up by all members.
We are part of The OnSide Network